Prince William Sound
[/onethird] [twothirds_last type=”separate” height=”130″] All Prince William Sound cruises departs from Whittier. A tiny little town about 1.5 hours away from Anchorage. We’re not kidding when we say “little town”! The “downtown” is pretty much a roundabout (you can count the number of stores/restaurants there with both your hands)! Population of the entire town is about 250 – 300 people, if I remember correctly. [/twothirds_last]
- Anchorage to Whittier: 62 miles, 1.5 hours by car, 2 hours by train
- Tunnel Fee: $12/car
- Wait Time: ~45 minutes (check schedule)
If you decide that driving is too much of a hassle, the other 2 options you have are: By Rail or By Coach. Glacier Cruises also provide packaged transportation options from Anchorage too, so be sure to check those out if driving is not an option. Here’s the cost of rail transportation for you to compare with the packaged options…
Anchorage – Whittier (By Rail) – http://www.alaskarailroad.com
- Depart 10am, Arrive 12:05pm, $65.00/per person
- Return 6:45pm, Arrive 9:15pm, $65.00/per person
WHERE TO STAY
|Cruise Operator||Cost||Rough Itinerary||Notes|
|Prince William Sound||
~$107/person without transportation
~$187/person with coach transportation
Anchorage (10am) – Whittier (12:20pm)
Cruise departs 1:15pm, returns 6:30pm
Whittier (6:45pm) – Anchorage (9:15pm)
Price included in $80/adult price above.
|Not available in September|
|26 Glacier Cruise||
~$139/person without transportation
~$189/person with coach transportation
~$219/person with rail transportation
Anchorage – Whittier (By Coach)
Anchorage – Whittier (By Rail)
#1 in Tripadvisor
Larger catamaran that goes faster, further, covering ~26 glaciers
Lunch is included.
Visits more glaciers, spends less time at each.
Video: See here for 26 Glacier
|Major Marine||~$107/person without transportation||See here for schedule and different options.||
Visit less glaciers, spends more time at each, waiting for chance to see glaciers calve (fall into the water).
Offers all you can eat lunch (extra charge) – Prime Rib $19/person.
Video: See here for Major Marine.
- There are specials and packages offered throughout the year for glacier cruises. So be sure to take a look at their “specials & packages” options. Sometimes, they include an extra wildlife cruise or an overnight stay or free transportation or even further discounts.
- Glacier Cruise leaving from Whittier
- Stay at the Inn at Whittier if you’re staying overnight
- Bring waterproof jackets
- Bring your camera
- Bring binoculars